- Fesenjoon <3 Persian Chicken or Duck in Pomegranate and walnut marinade ( can substitute with fake meat as I do since im a veggie head)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup oil
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken (cut up, bone-in) or 2 1/2-3 lbs duck (cut up, bone-in)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups walnuts, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2-2 cups water
- 2/3 cup pomegranate syrup (see notes in description if using juice)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Sprinkle meat with lime juice and allow to marinate for 1-4 hours.
Over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot heat an 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) of the butter or oil until shimmering.
Add the chicken/duck pieces a few at a time and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
Add onions (and eggplant if using - see notes in description) and sauté in remaining butter or oil until translucent.
Stir in ground walnuts and saute for 1/2 a minute.
Add stock or water and browned chicken/duck pieces. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
Stir in the pomegranate juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
Taste and adjust seasoning. Sauce should have a balanced sweet-sour flavor. See notes to adjust.
Simmer another 15-20 minutes until the chicken/duck is tender, sauce is somewhat thickened and the walnuts begin to give off their oil. Serve with plain white rice.
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/persian-chicken-or-duck-in-pomegranate-walnut-sauce-fesenjan-233487#ixzz20pmEtzQZ